Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Florida SSD FAQs

Answers to your frequently asked questions about Florida social security disability

Florida disability law attorney Shea Fugate has 30 years of experience helping people in Maitland and Orlando get their social security disability (SSD) benefits when they’ve become disabled and can no longer work. The Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. is a law firm that truly cares about you and getting you the help you need. Below are answers to some of the questions we hear most frequently when asked about SSD applications, benefits and denials. If you have other questions or need help after getting turned down for disability benefits in Maitland or Orlando, call the Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. at 407-539-0123. Your initial consultation is free, and we only charge a fee once we are successful in getting benefits for you.

Can I get SSD for a temporary disability?

SSD is only available to people with a permanent disability, and the government has strict definitions for SSD eligibility. You must have a physical or mental condition that keeps you from being able to work or perform substantial gainful activity, and your situation must be likely to last for a year or longer or eventually lead to death. The Social Security Administration (SSA) does allow people receiving SSD to go back to work for a trial work period without losing benefits. If you find you can return to work, your benefits will terminate.

Does Social Security pay benefits for the loss of a spouse?

Yes. There may be a one-time payment of $255 plus monthly benefits based on your spouse’s earnings as well as your age and the type of benefit involved, such as “child in care” benefits. The rules for receiving survivor’s benefits differ depending on whether you were married, divorced or remarried to another at the time of your spouse’s (or former spouse’s) death.

Are there any benefits available for a disabled widow or widower who did not work enough to qualify for social security?

Yes. If your deceased spouse qualified for social security, you might be able to get SSD benefits as a disabled widow or widower. Such benefits may be available to a surviving divorced spouse as well. In either case, you must be between 50 and 60 years old and meet Social Security’s definition of disability, and the onset of the disability must have occurred before the death of your spouse or within seven years of the death.

Can a disabled adult child receive SSD?

If the child is at least 18 years old, is unmarried, and the onset of the disability started before age 22, the child can receive SSD based on the earnings record of a parent who is receiving SSD or is eligible for SSD, or is deceased.

Can I file for SSD without a lawyer?

In theory, you should not need a lawyer to apply for SSD benefits. Social Security offers an online disability application that you can complete from the comfort of your home. You can also make an appointment over the phone or at your local Social Security office with a Social Security representative. Many applications are turned away because of minor technical errors, so it’s a good idea to go over your application carefully before you submit it and maybe have a friend or family member review it with you.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of applications for SSD are rejected, so don’t get overly discouraged if yours is too. Social Security uses very strict rules and definitions for eligibility and requires ample, quality medical evidence to support your application. Attorney Shea Fugate has been helping people get social security disability benefits for 30 years. If your application is denied, we’ll get to work right away putting together a strong case for reconsideration of your claim, and we’ll request hearings and appeals as necessary. Without a lawyer, you are likely to be turned down and not know how to proceed any further. With the Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. on your side, you’ll know that your case is being handled promptly and diligently by a dedicated and experienced disability law professional who is committed to getting you the benefits you need as quickly as possible.

Get Your SSD Questions Answered by Our Maitland and Orlando Disability Law Attorney

Call the Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. for help with social security disability applications, hearings and appeals in Maitland and Orlando. Call 407-539-1023 for a free consultation, or contact us online.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.